- What you must remember
- Make yourKTM SUPERDUKE 990 2006
- The technical aspect
- Related articles
And with an orange KTM Superduke, it is completely impossible to try to be discreet.
Judge rather: despite the few tests of different machines (Buell XB12, MV Agusta Brutale,….) Already registered to my credit, I have never felt so watched as during this week: between the “spectators” or rather the pedestrians beckoning me when I pass them and passers-by calling me at each stop, there is no denying it, the Kate look has its effect…. Italians may have found someone to talk to !
In addition, thanks to the color and the sound of the short exhausts (perfuming your jacket and your backpack with a mechanical “perfume”) the “safer” is obvious! Indeed, it is impossible to ignore the motorcycle when catching up with a retarded person (hops, it was only a motorist). Especially since the health of the engine often causes you to drive a little above the speed limits !
Anyway, back to first contact, the design of the Superduke has its detractors (of which I am certainly not one) but we can only rave about the attention to detail:
– the controls which you have under the hands are adjustable, hydraulic or radial and cut in the mass for the majority;
– the robust 48 mm (!!) White Power inverted fork is adjustable in all directions;
– likewise the rear suspension (also WP) and the one-piece silencer is a piece of gold (I dare not imagine the price of replacement!).
– Behind the exclusive Renthal handlebars, we find “THE” KTM dashboard: digital on the left for speed, mileage, 2 trips, engine temperature, time, all completed on the right by a tachometer with black zone at 9500 rpm, speed at which the breaker comes into action. The engine is so voluntary that this breaker is regularly called upon !
Contact, the sequential injection system dispenses choke and prevents the big V2 from knocking at low speed, the engine starts with a melodiously present crackle.
The position is type cavalier. Let me explain: the straight bust and arms contrast with the sportingly bent legs. The advantage is the clear vision and the possible cushioning on the legs.
Speaking of damping, the rear suspension is quite dry on big breaks but filters out small bumps well. Coupled with a “slightly” soft saddle, it provides surprising comfort for this type of machine..
We will not speak here of the “place” reserved for the passenger, who, after having burned her thighs on the pots and being deflowered by the lock of the saddle, will be ejected on the first acceleration !
During the 700 or so The kilometers traveled during this test, I was amazed by the overall comfort of this machine. This is the first time that a motorcycle with such a strong look has been so pleasant in everyday life..
Everything is there to make life simple:
– very good clutch, very useful if you regularly play with the grip (the first pulls at over 130km / h),
– very pleasant box despite a too long staging; the sixth was only there for high speeds on the motorway (over 230km / h; my neck did not allow me to push further or faster). Note that at 135 km / h the engine is only running at 4,600 rpm.
Daily use level, we can curse on:
– a hard-to-find crutch,
– an inaudible horn (a blow of gas is much more intimidating!)
– and above all a ridiculous range: the reserve indicator lights up after 90 to 100 km! After discussion with KTM officials, it seems that you can shoot up to 150 km with the reserve. But hey, then you have to push the 184 kg dry (since there is no more gas!). The problem being known, it would be reasonable to think that a future evolution of the model could erase this defect, especially as the accessories catalog already offers a carbon tank with an extended capacity of one and a half liters; which still represents 10% more gasoline !
KTM Belgium also relying on the sporting temperament of the Superduke (and I am the first convinced of that!) Has decided to offer a driving course on the circuit for any purchase of the machine before the end of August.
There, I envy the future owners !!!
Conclusion: – Here is indeed an astonishing test where the design joins for once an exploitable motorcycle. She’s like a top model who would also be an excellent housewife !
– A fine rider may be able to test the limits of 120 hp but believe me, this bike will lead you to exceed your limits ….
To meditate !?!
What you must remember
yourKTM SUPERDUKE 990 2006
Estimate, calculate and compare the cost of insuring your motorcycle.
Calculate the cost of
Test the price of the motorcycle insurance specialist
on 13 opinion
Read the reviews
Model marketed in
sup 230 km / h
0 to 100: 3.30 s
The technical aspect
KTM SUPERDUKE 990 2006
- Frame: truss made of chrome molybdenum steel tubes
- Tank: 15 liters
- Seat height: 855 mm
- Width: 990 mm
- Wheelbase: 1,438 mm
- Dry weight: 179 kg
- Weight in running order: 194 kg
- Train before
- WP inverted telehydraulic fork Ø 48 mm, deb .: 135 mm
- 2 discs Ø 320 mm, 4 piston calipers
- Front wheel:
- 6-speed gearbox
- secondary chain transmission
- Rear axle
- WP mono-shock, deb: 160 mm
- 1 disc Ø 240 mm, 1 piston caliper
- Rear wheel:
- Twin cylinder
in V at 75 °
, 4 stroke
- Cooling: Liquid cooling
- Injection Ø 48 mm
- 2 ACT
- 4 valves per cylinder
(101 x 62.4 mm)
at 9000 rpm
at 7,000 rpm
- Weight ratio /
kg / hp
- Compression: 11.5: 1
Yamaha 1670 MT-01 2006
2006 Buell XB-12 S LIGHTNING
Ducati 998 MONSTER S4Rs 2006
Ducati 996 MONSTER S4R 2006
Triumph 1050 SPEED TRIPLE 2006
MZ / MuZ (Motorad Zschopau) 1000 SF SUPER FIGHTER 2006
And with an orange KTM Superduke, it is completely impossible to try to be discreet. Judge rather: despite the few tests of different machines (Buell…
A name: GSR. That’s all and it’s huge. Because with these 3 letters, the manufacturer unveils a new breed of machine in its range: that of the hot…
An entry-level motorcycle with so much cachet and charisma, it’s been a hell of a few years since we’ve seen it. The ER-6 is Kawasaki’s new hobbyhorse in…
Because the owners of Pan-euro are more captains than pilots. statistics show that these are bikers whose average age and requirements invite them to…
Surreal, fantastic, crazy … The limits are crossed, exceeded, exploded! The new Triumph cruiser is a monster step in a world of rebels. Honda blew…
Back to the radical for the Yamaha Supersport. With the adoption of injection in 2003, the R6 became more user-friendly without losing any of its…
Remember Paulo les gaz’s XT (Joe BAR Team); an evil tool for the city. Yamaha is taking advantage of the new version of the XT, the 660 R, to decline a…
What is the purpose of the birth of a concept-bike? Surprise, shock, amaze, disturb, and often let the dream vanish in the painful awakening of the…
Archetype of excess, the Hayabusa is one of the most incredible devices on the planet. It is above all the fastest production motorcycle in the world….
First a style study, the surprising Griso has so excited the public that the Mandello brand is thinking very seriously about its marketing. We are not…